Legal Services Departments
The Directorate of Legal Services of the Ministry is made up of Law Officers from the office of the Honourable Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Federal Ministry of Justice and other non-lawyers as support staff.
The Directorate of Legal Services is headed by the Ministry’s Legal Adviser, the Director Legal Services and ably supported by:
- Deputy Director Legal Services
- Assistant Director Legal Services
- Principal State Counsel and two (2) Senior State Counsels
Other Staff of the Department is made up of Secretaries, Admin Officers, and Clerks
The functions of the Directorate of Legal Services are:
- Rendering legal advice/opinion to the Ministry and its Agencies on policy matters, legislations, contracts, litigations, personnel matters, compensation matters and international relations, etc.
- Preparation, drafting and vetting of legal documents like agreement and MoUs.
- Defending the Ministry in law suits involving the Ministry all over the Federation and initiating suits on behalf of the Ministry when necessary.
- Representation in Procurement Committee and in the Ministerial Tenders Board.
- Providing Legal advice to various committees set up in the Ministry as a member or non-member.
- Liaison with the Federal Ministry of Justice and other MDAs in the discharge of various legal services as the need arises.
- Representing the Ministry at meetings, conferences and seminars bordering on legal issues within and outside Nigeria.
- Providing updates to the Ministry on current judicial pronouncements and legal development globally in respect of water resources management.
The legal functions are carried out by the Legal Officers under the Director while the other members of staff are charged with the responsibility of carrying out the secretarial and the clerical duties in the Directorate.
GBOYEGA G. OYEKANMI ESQ
The Director holds a degree in Law from University of Ife now Obafemi Awolowo University, Masters of Law from University of Lagos and Diploma in Legislative Drafting from Institute of Advance Legal Studies, University of London in addition to other seminars and capacity building training attended. He is from Boluwaduro Local Govt. Area of Osun State and married with children.
He was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1985. Served the Nation in former ELF Nigeria Limited in Port Harcourt, after which he had a stint in private practice in a Law Chambers in Lagos before joining the Federal Civil Service as a Pupil State Counsel on 15th January 1987. He has since served in different capacity as a Counsel in Civil Litigation Department of the Federal Ministry of Justice, Legislative Drafting Department, Legal Adviser/Prosecuting Counsel to Presidential Task Force on Financial Crimes (PTFFC), which became the Economics & Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Legal Adviser to National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA), Federal Ministry of Science and Technology and currently Director Legal Services, Federal Ministry of Water resources.
He was also a member of the Law Revision Committee set up by Judge Bola Ajibola (SAN, KBE,CFR) the erstwhile Attorney- General of the Federation to review and produce the Laws of the Federation of Nigeria in 1990 after a long gap of Thirty- two (32) years.