1.0 GENDER AND HUMAN RIGHTs UNIT
1.1 General Introduction of the Unit
The Gender and Human Rights Unit is a “Specialize Unit” which was created in 2010. This is in realization of the Ministry’s commitment to support gender mainstreaming in the Water Sector, to ensure that issues and concerns of males, females, poor, rich, elderly and people living with disabilities are part of analysis, preparation, design, implementation, monitoring, of programmes/projects cycle, as an essential tool to promote inclusive and dynamic development, aimed at addressing sustainability in Water Resources Management.
1.2 Structure and function of the Unit.
The Unit has two sections, namely:-
- Gender Matters
- Human Rights
The Unit also facilitates the activities of Girls and Women in Nigeria (GWIN) project.
The Unit has the mandate to promote Gender-responsive policies, strategies, institutions, as well as constantly conduct verification and follow-up on programmes/projects, to ensure gender mainstreaming compliance.
Its responsibilities within the mandate are as follows:
- Develop gender-responsive policies and strategies;
- Develop gender-related monitoring indicators;
3. Develop guidelines for the collection to gender disaggregated data;
4.Promote advocacy, sensitization and mobilization activities for the propagation of gender mainstreaming in the sector;
5. Promote the inclusion of women in decision-making at all levels;
6. Collect and store data, on gender practice and gender roles in water projects and disseminate information;
Arising from the Unit’s mandate, its activities are focused on the following:
- Capacity building and strengthening of gender focal points
- Conducting advocacy and sensitization workshops for the propagation of gender mainstreaming in the sector;
- Conducting advocacy and sensitization workshops for policymakers, for the propagation of gender mainstreaming in the sector;
- Conducting advocacy, sensitization and mobilization activities to stakeholders, at the federal, state, LGA and community levels, for the promotion of gender mainstreaming in the sector;
- Promotion of water-based and sanitation related business,women and girls empowerment;
- Conduct verification exercises and report on implementation of gender plans;
- Report on gender issues within the sector, pertaining to International commitments;
- Collect data on current gender practices and gender roles in water projects and programmes;
- Facilitate and advocate support and collaboration of Development Partners, Private Sector, NGOs, CSOs etc.
- Institutional Capacity Strengthening of Gender Focal Points (GFPs) and G-WIN project;
- Strengthening capacity of Gender Focal Points in the Ministry and all its agencies and parastatals on Gender mainstreaming in the Water Sector;
- Stakeholders’ advocacy and sensitization of Policy Makers and others to generate on Gender mainstreaming in the Water Sector.
- Building capacity of Rural Women and Girls, as well as empowerment on water vending and sanitation related business in GWIN focal states across the 6 – zones;
- Conducting regular in-house training exercises for Gender Desk Officers, within the main Ministry.
- Conducting Verification and follow-up on GWIN activities in GWIN focal states of Abia, Bauchi, Plateau, Delta, Kebbi, Taraba and Osun;
- Liaising with major MDAs and other partners, especially Federal Ministry of Women Affairs & Social Development, Federal Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Development, Federal Ministry of Environment, National Human Rights Commission, UNICEF, World Bank, AMCOW,Water Aid, Action Aid, WEP, etc on Gender matters.
- Establishment and Development of Implementation Guidelines and Strategy on Gender.(On-going projects)